Irish National Stud
The lands around Tully have been associated with the breeding of horses since about 1300 when it is likely that war horses were bred here for the Knights of Malta. However, the first record of the existence of a stud farm is in 1900, when the lands were purchased from a local farmer James Fay, by Colonel William Hall-Walker, who later became Lord Wavertree.
William Hall-Walker succeeded in building up a collection of foundation mares which had tremendous influence on racing. In the ten year period 1904 - 1914 there were seven Classic winners bred at Tully.
During this period, Colonel Hall-Walker also decided to have a Japanese Garden built on a boggy site near Tully House. The garden was laid out by an eminent Japanese landscape gardener, Tassa Eida, assisted by an army of local labourers. In 1916, Colonel Hall-Walker presented his stud to the British government for the purpose of founding a British National Stud.
In 1943, the newly formed Irish government took over the land and buildings at an agreed valuation. In 1945, the Irish National Stud Company Ltd. was formed and it officially took over the running of the stud on 31st August, 1946.
Since then, it has continued to expand and develop and is now a source of national pride and an international tourist attraction.
You Tube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheIrishNationalStud