National Stud Le Lion d'Angers
49220 Le Lion d'Angers
Region of Pays de la Loire
Internet: www.lelion-hn.com (English)
Located since 1797 in Angers town center on the grounds of an old hospice the national stud has been transferred due to a lack of space to the Isle Briand Domain, an agricultural property of 160 hectares, during the 1970s. The site of the stud grew from 2,5 hectares to 160 hectares.
For the construction of the new buildings the architect Geoffrey de Crépy, who also designed the National Riding School in Saumur, was employed. In 1975 the new stud premises were opened. Today, the National State Stud Le Lion d'Angers counts 5 stallions of 5 different breeds and 27 employees.
All year round numerous events take place. Besides breeding events, jumping- und dressage competitions, art exhibitions are organised from April to August, side-saddle events and the heritage days in September. The site is famous for the "Mondial du Lion" in October, the world cup of young eventing horses.